This qualification reflects the role of individuals employed as beauty therapists to provide a broad range of beauty therapy treatments and services including facial treatments, body massage and treatments, hair removal, lash and brow treatments, nail and make-up services. This includes consultation with clients to provide beauty advice, recommend beauty treatments and services, and sell retail skin-care and cosmetic products.
These individuals work relatively autonomously, and are accountable for personal outputs. Their work involves the self-directed application of knowledge and skills with substantial depth in some areas where judgement is required in planning and selecting appropriate equipment, services and techniques.
Work is typically conducted in beauty salons and spas.
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
Available 3 days a week or 2 evenings a week or by distance learning with practical workshops (see attendance choices for further details.)
The Beauty Therapy Training Package SHB15 requires students to study a total of 25 units for the Diploma of Beauty Therapy (see prospectus for full details.)
Starting dates for 2017
- January 30th 2017
- April 3rd 2017
- July 10th 2017
- September 2017
- All applicants must have a strong desire to enter the beauty therapy industry and be very well groomed.
- HSC or equivalent is required. If an applicant does not have the HSC or equivalent, LLN assessment will be required to ensure student can handle the course requirements.
- Computer and microsoft word to access resources and assignments
- Successful interview to assess suitability with CEO or senior management. This will be done by telephone for distance students.
Student entry requirements for the SHB50115 Diploma of Beauty Therapy:
All students looking to enrol must attend an information evening ( unless a distance student) and must have a one on one interview with the CEO or senior management to assess suitability.( this will be by telephone for distance students)
At this interview we are looking for students with a strong desire to be a beauty therapist, have a high standard of grooming, and a bright positive attitude.
It is also important that the academy reasonably believes the student is academically suited to the course.
A student will be academically suited when:
- The student satisfies the entry requirements set out in our procedures.
- The student satisfies one of the following:
- The Academy obtains a copy of a senior school certificate of education that has been awarded to the student by an agency or state or territory for the student’s completion of year 12 or both
- The student is assessed as displaying competence at or above exit level 3 in the Australian Core skills Framework (ACSF) in both reading and numeracy
This test is an online test and an approved testing tool. Your results will be downloaded by our staff and you will be informed of the results as soon as practicable after the assessment. The Secretary of the Department of education may obtain these results upon request. These results are retained for at least 5 years in our Wisenet management system. The academy will organise this testing for you before enrolment is confirmed.
Reading tasks are based on a broad range of texts designed or chosen for their authenticity and relevance to the lives of adult students.
Reading questions are presented to students in a simulated online reading environment. A split screen is used to allow a dedicated area for each text, with questions located in a separate screen opposite.
The CSPA numeracy assessment provide diagnostic feedback on the learner’s performance in the focus areas of:
- Problem solving
- Number and algebra
- Measurement and geometry
- Statistics and probability
The test must be conducted with honesty and integrity.
The Australian Academy of Beauty and Spa Therapy reasonably believes the student displays that competence at the interview stage.
- All prospective students are to have a one on one interview with the CEO of The Academy or another senior manager. This is to ensure prospective students display a real interest in the course, and understand the commitments of the course.
- A high standard of grooming and a caring nurturing personality are other requirements to being a successful beauty therapist.
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid must be completed before starting practical part of course.
Students to supply
- Notebook, stationery for class
- Laptop, or ipad recommended for class but not essential
- Computer and internet required at home for research and theory assessments
- Unique email address
- Uniform (cost $135)
- Closed in flat rubber soled shoes
|SHBBBOS002||Provide body massages|
|SHBBBOS003||Provide body treatments|
|SHBBFAS001||Provide lash and brow services|
|SHBBFAS002||Provide facial treatments and skin care recommendations|
|SHBBFAS003||Provide specialised facial treatments|
|SHBBHRS001||Provide waxing services|
|SHBBMUP002||Design and apply make-up|
|SHBBNLS001||Provide manicure and pedicare services|
|SHBBRES001||Research and apply beauty industry information|
|SHBXCCS001||Conduct salon financial transactions|
|SHBXCCS002||Provide salon services to clients|
|SHBXIND001||Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment|
|SHBXWHS001||Apply safe hygiene, health and work practices|
|SHBBBOS004||Provide aromatherapy massages|
|SHBBCCS002||Prepare personalised aromatic plant oil blends for beauty treatments|
|SHBBSPA001||Work in a spa therapies framework|
|SHBBSPA002||Provide spa therapies|
|SHBBSPA003||Provide stone therapy massages|
|SHBBSPA004||Provide Indian head massages for relaxation|
|SHBBHRS002||Provide female intimate waxing services|
|SHBBINF001||Maintain infection control standards|
|SHBBMUP003||Design and apply make-up for photography|
|SHBBMUP004||Design and apply remedial camouflage make-up|
|SHBBSKS005||Provide micro-dermabrasion treatments|
|SHBBBOS001||Apply cosmetic tanning products|
Please read further pre-enrolment information to help you make an informed decision as to the suitability of our courses.